Making the transition from staff member to supervisor can be especially challenging. This workshop is designed to address some of those special challenges unique to the employee who has recently been promoted from within.
Through self-assessment and case study discussion, participants will have the opportunity to determine their preferred supervisory style and identify ways to modify their style to bring out the best in others. Discussion will focus on topics such as:
- Developing confidence and getting comfortable in your new role
- Assertiveness vs. command and control
- Gaining the respect of staff, peers and management
- Building credibility and influence
- Dealing with passive-aggressive or resistant employees
- Maintaining friendships with former peers (separating personal and business issues)
At the end of this workshop, you’ll be able to:
- Improve your confidence, assertiveness and influence.
- Understand how your supervisory style impacts others and how to modify your approach.
- Use assertive communication to pinpoint the ‘real’ issues.
- Describe action steps for communicating assertively, while minimizing defensiveness.